- of church government by bishops
Origin of Episcopalianepiscopal + -ian
- any member of an episcopal church or a person believing in episcopal government
- ⌂ any member of the Protestant Episcopal Church
- Of, relating to, or belonging to the Episcopal Church.
- episcopalian Of or advocating church government by bishops.
(comparative more episcopalian, superlative most episcopalian)
- In the adjectival sense, episcopal will generally do just as well: A bishop is entitled to certain episcopal privileges. In the Episcopal Church in the United States, the correct usage is that Episcopalian is used only as a noun and Episcopal is used only as an adjective.
- An adherent of the Episcopal Churches of America or Scotland.
- I was raised an Episcopalian but no longer belong to a church.