- growing on or close to the ground
- emerging from the ground after germination: said of cotyledons
- Zool. living or developing on the exposed surface of the earth or in shallow water
Origin: Gr epigeios, on the earth (< epi-, upon + gē, the earth) + -al
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
also ep·i·ge·an or ep·i·ge·ousadjective
- Biology Living or occurring on or near the surface of the ground.
- Botany Of or relating to the emergence of cotyledons above the surface of the ground after germination.
Origin: From Greek epigeios, on the earth : epi-, epi- + gē, earth.