epigeal definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- growing on or close to the ground
- emerging from the ground after germination: said of cotyledons
- Zool. living or developing on the exposed surface of the earth or in shallow water
Origin: Classical Greek epigeios, on the earth (; from epi-, upon plush gē, the earth) plush -al
epigeal definition by American Heritage Dictionary
also ep·i·ge·an or ep·i·ge·ousadjective
- Biology Living or occurring on or near the surface of the ground.
- Botany Of or relating to the emergence of cotyledons above the surface of the ground after germination.
Origin: From Greek epigeios, on the earth : epi-, epi- + gē, earth.