- Football sweep (noun)
- an attempt to bypass red tape, opposition, etc.
- Football A play in which the ball carrier attempts to run around one end of the defensive line.
- Informal A maneuver in which impediments are bypassed, often by a clever stratagem or deceit: “Grafting is an ingenious way humankind discovered to make an end run around apple genetics” ( Sue Hubbell )
transitive verbend-ran, end-run, end-run·ning, end-runs
Informal To bypass (an impediment) often by deceit or trickery.
(plural end runs)
- A running play in American football in which the player carrying the ball attempts to avoid being tackled by evading the defending players from the opposing team
- (informal, by extension) An attempt to avoid a difficult situation by transcending it without confronting it directly