bringing, gaining, or carrying away nothing
- Bearing nothing.
- Having received or gained nothing.
(comparative more empty-handed, superlative most empty-handed)
- Having nothing to give.
- I felt bad having shown up to the baby shower empty-handed.
- Having given or received nothing.
- (figuratively) Having failed in a task.
- I was supposed to clean up the trash out back, but I returned empty-handed.
- (of a style of martial arts such as karate) That revolves purely around unarmed, hand-to-hand combat, and uses no weapons.