An example of ecology is the study of wetlands.
An example of ecology is studying the food chain in a wetlands area.
- the branch of biology that deals with the relations between living organisms and their environment
- the complex of relations between a specific organism and its environment
- Sociology the study of the relationship and adjustment of human groups to their geographical and social environments
Origin of ecologyGerman ökologie ; from Classical Greek oikos (see eco-) + -logia, -logy
- a. The science of the relationships between organisms and their environments.b. The relationship between organisms and their environment.
- See human ecology.
Origin of ecologyGerman &Odie;kologie : Greek oikos, house; see weik-1 in Indo-European roots + German -logie, study (from Greek -logiā, -logy).
- ec′o·log′i·cal , ec′o·log′ic
(countable and uncountable, plural ecologies)
From German Ökologie, from Ancient Greek οἶκος (oikos, “house”) + -λογία (-logia, “study of”)