- generator (sense )
- a forceful, dynamic person
Origin of dynamofrom dynamoelectric machine
Origin of dynamo-from Classical Greek dynamis: see dynamic
- A generator, especially one for producing direct current.
- An extremely energetic and forceful person: a vice president who was the real dynamo of the corporation.
Origin of dynamoShort for dynamoelectric machine
- A dynamo-electric machine.
- An energetic person.
- That new Vice President of Marketing is a real dynamo; sales have already gone up this quarter.
A shortening of dynamo-electric machine. The element dynamo- is ultimately from Ancient Greek δύναμις (dunamis, “power”).