transitive verb-·fied·, -·fy·ing
- to remove nitrogen or its compounds from
- to reduce (nitro groups, nitrates, or nitrites) to compounds of lower oxidation
transitive verbde·ni·tri·fied, de·ni·tri·fy·ing, de·ni·tri·fies
- To remove nitrogen or nitrogen groups from (a compound).
- To reduce (nitrates or nitrites) to nitrogen-containing gases, as by bacterial action on soil.
(third-person singular simple present denitrifies, present participle denitrifying, simple past and past participle denitrified)
- (chemistry) to remove nitrogen, often through the breakdown of nitrogenous compounds and the release of nitrogen gas.
de- + nitro- + -ify