nitrify definition by Webster's New World
transitive verb nitrified, nitrifying
- to combine with nitrogen or nitrogen compounds
- to impregnate (soil, etc.) with nitrates
- to cause the oxidation of (ammonium salts, atmospheric nitrogen, etc.) to nitrites and nitrates, as by the action of soil bacteria, etc.
Origin: French nitrifier: see niter and amp; -fy
nitrify definition by American Heritage Dictionary
transitive verb ni·tri·fied, ni·tri·fy·ing, ni·tri·fies
- To oxidize (an ammonia compound) into nitric acid, nitrous acid, or any nitrate or nitrite, especially by the action of nitrobacteria.
- To treat or combine with nitrogen or compounds containing nitrogen.
- niˌtri·fi·caˈtion noun
- niˈtri·fiˌer noun