- to combine with nitrogen or nitrogen compounds
- to impregnate (soil, etc.) with nitrates
- to cause the oxidation of (ammonium salts, atmospheric nitrogen, etc.) to nitrites and nitrates, as by the action of soil bacteria, etc.
Origin: Fr nitrifier: see niter & -fy
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
transitive verb ni·tri·fied, ni·tri·fy·ing, ni·tri·fies
- To oxidize (an ammonia compound) into nitric acid, nitrous acid, or any nitrate or nitrite, especially by the action of nitrobacteria.
- To treat or combine with nitrogen or compounds containing nitrogen.
- niˌtri·fi·caˈtion noun
- niˈtri·fiˌer noun