In 1733 George Stone was made dean of Ferns, and in the following year he exchanged this deanery for that of Derry; in 1740 he became bishop of Ferns, in 1743 bishop of Kildare, in 1745 bishop of Derry, and in 1747 archbishop of Armagh.
In 1870, by an arrangement which he attributed to his friend Robert Lowe, afterwards Lord Sherbrooke (at that time a member of Gladstone's ministry), Scott was promoted to the deanery of Rochester and Jowett was elected to the vacant mastership by the fellows of Balliol.
In 1839 he took the degree of D.D., and the same year was appointed by Lord Melbourne to the deanery of Ely.
In 1737 he was translated to Oxford, and he received the deanery of St Paul's in 1750.
That of the fifteen parishes in the deanery of the Arches.