transitive verb-·vat·ed, -·vat·ing
- to make (something, as an explosive, chemical, or mechanism) inactive or inoperative
- Mil. to place (a military unit) on a nonactive status; demobilize
transitive verbde·ac·ti·vat·ed, de·ac·ti·vat·ing, de·ac·ti·vates
- To render inactive or ineffective.
- To inhibit, block, or disrupt the action of (an enzyme or other biological agent).
- To remove from active military status.
(third-person singular simple present deactivates, present participle deactivating, simple past and past participle deactivated)
de- + activate