- Fertilization by the union of gametes from different individuals, sometimes of different varieties or species. Also called allogamy.
- Mutual exchange, as between dissimilar concepts, cultures, or classifications, that enhances understanding or produces something beneficial.
- crossˈ-ferˈtile adjective
cross-fertilization - Cultural DefinitionThe New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
cross-fertilization - Science Definition
- cross-fertilize cross-fertilize verb
Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Variant of cross-fertilize
- to fertilize or be fertilized by pollen with different genes
- to fertilize or be fertilized by a male gamete from another animal, as in the mutual exchange of sperm between individuals in a hermaphroditic species
- to fuse a male and female gamete derived from different varieties or species
- cross-fertilization noun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.