- Fertilization by the union of gametes from different individuals, sometimes of different varieties or species. Also called allogamy.
- Mutual exchange, as between dissimilar concepts, cultures, or classifications, that enhances understanding or produces something beneficial.
Variant of cross-fertilize
intransitive verbcross-fertilized, cross-fertilizing
- to fertilize or be fertilized by pollen with different genes
- to fertilize or be fertilized by a male gamete from another animal, as in the mutual exchange of sperm between individuals in a hermaphroditic species
- to fuse a male and female gamete derived from different varieties or species