- a general description of the world
- the science dealing with the structure of the universe as a whole and of its related parts: geology, geography, and astronomy are branches of cosmography
Origin of cosmographyMiddle English cosmographie from Late Latin cosmographia from Classical Greek kosmographia, description of the world: see cosmo- and -graphy
- The mapping of the universe as a whole system.
- A general description or depiction of the world or universe: “a full-blown cosmography in which Earth is 'the garbage dump of the universe'” ( Mark Muro )
- cos′mo·graph′ic cos′mo·graph′i·cal
cosmo- + -graphy