cosmography[käz mäg′rə fē]
- a general description of the world
- the science dealing with the structure of the universe as a whole and of its related parts: geology, geography, and astronomy are branches of cosmography
Origin of cosmographyMiddle English cosmographie ; from Late Latin cosmographia ; from Classical Greek kosmographia, description of the world: see cosmo- and amp; -graphy
- The mapping of the universe as a whole system.
- A general description or depiction of the world or universe: “a full-blown cosmography in which Earth is ‘the garbage dump of the universe’” (Mark Muro).
- cos′mo·graph′ic , cos′mo·graph′i·cal
cosmo- + -graphy