A plural of corona.
- Plural form of corona
Variant of corona
nounpl. coronas or coronae
- a crown or something resembling a crown
- a circular chandelier hanging from a church ceiling
- a long cigar with straight sides and blunt ends
- a crownlike part
- the crown of a tooth, of a skull, etc.
- Archit. the top projection of a cornice
- the layer of ionized gas surrounding the sun, characterized by an extremely low density, an extremely high temperature, and a constantly changing shape extending great distances from the sun: clearly visible during a total solar eclipse
- a ring of colored light seen around a luminous body, as the sun or moon, formed by the diffraction of light caused by mist, dust, etc.
- Bot. an extra whorl of flower parts between the corolla and the stamens, as in the daffodil, forming a crownlike or cuplike part
- Elec. a luminous discharge that may occur around a high-voltage conductor due to ionization of the surrounding air
Origin of coronaClassical Latin crown