- The definition of consumerism is the protection of the rights and interests of the general pool of buyers, or an obsession with buying material goods or items.
- Laws and rules that protect people who shop and spend are examples of consumerism.
- An obsession with shopping and acquiring stuff is an example of consumerism.
- the practice and policies of protecting the consumer by publicizing defective and unsafe products, misleading business practices, etc.
- the consumption of goods and services
- a theory that a continual increase in the consumption of goods is sound economically
- The movement seeking to protect and inform consumers by requiring such practices as honest packaging and advertising, product guarantees, and improved safety standards.
- The theory that a progressively greater consumption of goods is economically beneficial.
- Attachment to materialistic values or possessions: deplored the rampant consumerism of contemporary society.
(countable and uncountable, plural consumerisms)
consumer + -ism