The definition of a constituency is the body of people who are eligible to vote and elect a leader, or a group of supporters or potential supporters.
The people in a given geographic area who elect a congressman are an example of a constituency.
- all the people, esp. voters, served by a particular elected official, esp. a legislator
- the district of such a group of voters, etc.
- a group of clients, supporters, etc.
Origin of constituency; from constituent + -cy
- a. The body of voters or the residents of a district represented by an elected legislator or official.b. The district so represented.
- a. A group of supporters or patrons.b. A group served by an organization or institution; a clientele: The magazine changed its format to appeal to a broader constituency.