A civil war memorial in Virginnia.
When the Northern States and Southern States in the U.S. fought over slavery, this was an example of a civil war.
the Civil War
- A war between factions or regions of the same country.
- Civil War The war in the United States between the Union and the Confederacy from 1861 to 1865. Also called War Between the States.
- Civil War The war in England between the Parliamentarians and the Royalists from 1642 to 1648.
- A state of hostility or conflict between elements within an organization: “The broadcaster is in the midst of a civil war that has brought it to the brink of a complete management overhaul” (Bill Powell).
- Any of several civil wars, taken specifically.
- In English-language contexts, the term usually refers to the English Civil War of 1642-1651 or the American Civil War of 1861-1865.
Capitalization of civil war.