- The definition of a civil war is a war between citizens of the same country.
When the Northern States and Southern States in the U.S. fought over slavery, this was an example of a civil war.
A civil war memorial in Virginnia.
civil war definition by Webster's New World
civil war definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A war between factions or regions of the same country.
- A state of hostility or conflict between elements within an organization: “The broadcaster is in the midst of a civil war that has brought it to the brink of a complete management overhaul” (Bill Powell).
- Civil War The war in the United States between the Union and the Confederacy from 1861 to 1865. Also called War Between the States.
- Civil War The war in England between the Parliamentarians and the Royalists from 1642 to 1648.
civil war - Cultural Definition
The war fought in the United States between northern (Union) and southern (Confederate) states from 1861 to 1865, in which the Confederacy sought to establish itself as a separate nation. The Civil War is also known as the War for Southern Independence and as the War between the States. The war grew out of deep-seated differences between the social structure and economy of North and South, most notably over slavery; generations of political maneuvers had been unable to overcome these differences (see Missouri Compromise and Compromise of 1850). The secession of the southern states began in late 1860, after Abraham Lincoln was elected president. The Confederacy was formed in early 1861. The fighting began with the Confederate attack on Fort Sumter. Most of the battles took place in the South, but one extremely crucial episode, the Battle of Gettysburg, was fought in the North. The war ended with the surrender of General Robert E. Lee to General Ulysses S. Grant at Appomattox Court House. (See Battle of Bull Run, Battle of Chancellorsville, Emancipation Proclamation, and Sherman's march to the sea.)
- The Civil War has been the most serious test yet of the ability of the United States to remain one nation.
civil war - Phrases/Idioms
the Civil War