A civil war memorial in Virginnia.
The definition of a civil war is a war between citizens of the same country.
When the Northern States and Southern States in the U.S. fought over slavery, this was an example of a civil war.
war between geographical sections or political factions of the same nation
civil war Idioms
the Civil War
the war between the North (the Union) and the South (the Confederacy) in the U.S. (1861-65)
- A war between factions or regions of the same country.
- Civil War The war in the United States between the Union and the Confederacy from 1861 to 1865. Also called War Between the States .
- Civil War The war in England between the Parliamentarians and the Royalists from 1642 to 1648.
- A state of hostility or conflict between elements within an organization: “The broadcaster is in the midst of a civil war that has brought it to the brink of a complete management overhaul” ( Bill Powell )
- Any of several civil wars, taken specifically.
- In English-language contexts, the term usually refers to the English Civil War of 1642-1651 or the American Civil War of 1861-1865.
Capitalization of civil war.