Origin of Cimmerianfrom Classical Latin Cimmerius, pertaining to the Cimmerii, Cimmerians from Classical Greek Kimmerioi
Origin of CimmerianFrom Latin Cimmeriī the Cimmerians from Greek Kimmerioi
(comparative more cimmerian, superlative most cimmerian)
- (Greek mythology) Any of the mythical people supposed to inhabit a land of perpetual darkness.
- one of the Cimmerii, ancient equestrian nomads of Indo-European origin
- (historical) the prophetic priestess presiding over the Apollonian Oracle at Cimmerium in Italy.
(comparative more Cimmerian, superlative most Cimmerian)
- Pertaining to the ancient Cimmerians.
- Characteristic of Cimmeria; especially describing particularly dense darkness etc.
- the language of the Cimmerians, possibly belonging to the Iranian branch
From the Latin Cimmerius, from Ancient Greek Κιμμέριος (Kimmerios, “pertaining to the Cimmerii”) + -an.