Origin of Cimmerian; from Classical Latin Cimmerius, pertaining to the Cimmerii, Cimmerians ; from Classical Greek Kimmerioi
Origin of CimmerianFrom Latin Cimmeri&imacron;, the Cimmerians, from Greek Kimmerioi.
(comparative more cimmerian, superlative most cimmerian)
- (Greek mythology) Any of the mythical people supposed to inhabit a land of perpetual darkness.
- one of the Cimmerii, ancient equestrian nomads of Indo-European origin
- (historical) the prophetic priestess presiding over the Apollonian Oracle at Cimmerium in Italy.
(comparative more Cimmerian, superlative most Cimmerian)
- Pertaining to the ancient Cimmerians.
- Characteristic of Cimmeria; especially describing particularly dense darkness etc.
- the language of the Cimmerians, possibly belonging to the Iranian branch
From the Latin Cimmerius, from Ancient Greek Κιμμέριος (Kimmerios, “pertaining to the Cimmerii”) + -an.