- The definition of cilia means small hairs.
- An example of a cilia is an eyelash.
- An example of a cilia is a hairlike growth in the duct which helps the movement of fluids.
plural nounsing. cilium
- the eyelashes
Origin of ciliaModLBot. small hairlike processes extending from certain plant cells and forming a fringe, as on the edges of some leaves
- Zool. short, hairlike outgrowths of certain cells, usually capable of rhythmic beating that can produce locomotion and feeding currents, as in protozoans or small worms, or the movement of fluids, as in the ducts of higher forms
Origin of ciliaClassical Latin plural of cilium, eyelid; akin to celare: see conceal
Plural of cilium.
- Irregular plural form of cilium