- The definition of a charterer is a person who reserves a boat, bus or other mode of transportation for the personal use of others.
An example of a charterer is the person who reserves a boat for a wedding reception.
Variant of charter
- a franchise or written grant of specified rights made by a government or ruler to a person, corporation, etc.
- a document setting forth the aims and principles of a united group, as of nations
- the constitution of a city, setting forth its governmental organization and powers
- the Charter of the United Nations
- a document by which a society authorizes the organization of a local chapter or lodge
- a special privilege or exemption
- the hire or lease of a ship, bus, airplane, etc.
- the agreement governing this
- Eng. Law an instrument, esp. a deed
Origin: Middle English chartre ; from Old French ; from Classical Latin chartula, diminutive of charta: see card
- to grant a charter to
- to hire or lease by charter
- to hire for exclusive use
- charterer noun