- a salt of carbonic acid containing the divalent, negative radical CO
- an uncharged ester of this acid
Origin of carbonateFr: see carbon and -ate
transitive verb-·at·ed, -·at·ing
- Obs. to burn to carbon; carbonize
- to charge with carbon dioxide: carbonated drinks
- to form into a carbonate
transitive verbcar·bon·at·ed, car·bon·at·ing, car·bon·ates
- To charge (a beverage, for example) with carbon dioxide gas.
- To burn to carbon; carbonize.
- To change into a carbonate.
(third-person singular simple present carbonates, present participle carbonating, simple past and past participle carbonated)
From French carbonate.