- an elaborate step or walk formerly performed by blacks in the South competing for the prize of a cake
- a strutting dance developed from this
- something easily accomplished, won, etc.
- cakewalker noun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Something easily accomplished: Winning the race was a cakewalk for her.
- A 19th-century public entertainment among African Americans in which walkers performing the most accomplished or amusing steps won cakes as prizes.
- a. A strutting dance, often performed in minstrel shows.b. The music for this dance.
- cakeˈwalkˌer noun