cabochon[kab′ə s̸hän′; Fr kȧ bō̂ s̸hōn′]
Several tourmaline cabochons in different colors.
- any precious stone cut in convex shape, polished but not faceted
- the style of cutting such a stone
Origin of cabochonFrench ; from caboche, head
- A highly polished, convex-cut, unfaceted gem.
- A convex style of cutting gems.
In a highly polished, convex-cut, unfaceted style: a sapphire that was cut cabochon.
Origin of cabochonFrench, from Old North French, augmentative of caboche, head; see cabbage.
- A convex-cut, polished stone.