- a member of an early Celtic people living in S Britain at the time of the Roman invasion
- a person born or living in Great Britain, esp. in England
Origin: Middle English ; from Old French Breton ; from Classical Latin Brito, Britto; of Celtic origin, originally : see British
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A native or inhabitant of Great Britain.
- One of a Celtic people inhabiting ancient Britain at the time of the Roman invasion.
- A member of a Brittonic-speaking people.
Origin: Middle English Britoun, Celt, Briton, from Anglo-Norman Britun, from Latin Brittonēs, Britons, of Celtic origin.