brethren[bret̸h′rən; often, -ərn]
- The definition of brethren are members of a group, especially a male religious order.
A group of Christian men who are all part of the same religious order are an example of brethren.
Brethren praying together.
brethren definition by Webster's New World
Origin: Middle English bretheren, plural : see brother
brethren definition by American Heritage Dictionary
Variant of brother
- a man or boy as he is related to the other children of his parents: sometimes also used of animals
- a man or boy related to one by having a parent in common; half brother
- a stepbrother
- a foster brother
- a close male friend who is like a brother
- a fellow human being
- a male fellow member of the same race, church, profession, organization, etc.: fraternity brother, soul brother
- a lay member of a men's religious order
- Informal any man: often used as a familiar term of address
Origin: Middle English ; from Old English brothor ; from Indo-European base an unverified form bhrāter from source Gothic brothar, Classical Latin frater, Old Irish brāthir, Sanskrit bhrātar, Classical Greek phratēr