Brethren praying together.
The definition of brethren are members of a group, especially a male religious order.
A group of Christian men who are all part of the same religious order are an example of brethren.
- brothers: now chiefly in religious use
- members of the Church of the Brethren or of other Protestant groups similar in origin and practices
Origin of brethrenMiddle English bretheren, plural : see brother
- A plural of brother.
- Brethren Any of various Protestant denominations, especially those arising out of the Anabaptist and Pietist movements in Central Europe between the 15th and 18th centuries.
- of or pertaining to any religious group that uses or formerly used the word "Brethren", capitalized, in referring to itself or its members
- (in the plural, informal) any Brethren denomination (usually preceded by "the" or "The")
- (in the singular), a member of a Brethren congregation or denomination