A borough of northwest England northwest of Manchester. It was a center of the woolen trade from the 14th to the 18th century.x
- A town, forming part of Greater Manchester.
- It is divided by the Croal, a small tributary of the Irwell, into Great and Little Bolton, and as the full name implies, is surrounded by high moorland.
- Before 1838, when Bolton was incorporated, the town was governed by a boroughreeve and two constables appointed at the annual court-leet.
- The earliest form of the name is Bodleton or Botheltun, and the most important of the later forms are Bodeltown, Botheltunle-Moors, Bowelton, Boltune, Bolton-super-Moras, B olton-in-yeMoors, Bolton-le-Moors.
- The manor of Little Bolton seems to have been, at least from Henry III.'s reign, distinct from that of Great Bolton, and was held till the 17th century by the Botheltons or Boltons.
- From early days Bolton was famous for its woollen manufactures.