bluefin tunablue·fin tuna
the largest tuna (Thunnus thynnus): it has bright red flesh and is important as a game and food fish
Any of three very large, commercially important tunas of subtropical and temperate waters, northern bluefish tuna (Thunnus thynnus), southern bluefish tuna (T. maccoyii), and Pacific bluefish tuna (T. orientalis).
(usually uncountable, plural bluefin tunas)
- A member of a species of tuna, Thunnus genus, having blue fins, including
- Thunnus thynnus, Atlantic bluefin tuna, found in both the western and eastern Atlantic Ocean, and alsoin the Mediterranean Sea
- Thunnus tonggol, longtail tuna, found in tropical Indo-West Pacific waters.
- Thunnus orientalis, Pacific bluefin tuna, found widely in the northern Pacific Ocean and locally in the south.
- Thunnus maccoyii, southern bluefin tuna