The definition of a bikini is a small, two-piece swimsuit for women, or a brief legless swimsuit for men.noun
- An example of a bikini is a triangle top swimsuit with a very small bottom.
- An example of a bikini is a small Speedo swimsuit for a man.
- a very brief two-piece swimsuit for women
- very brief, legless underpants or swimming trunks
Origin: Fr, after Bikini, Marshall Islands atomic bomb testing site (1946); to suggest the explosive effect on the viewer
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
noun pl. bi·ki·nis
- a. A very brief, close-fitting two-piece bathing suit worn by women.b. A very brief, close-fitting bathing suit worn by men.
- Brief underpants that reach to the hips rather than to the waist. Often used in the plural.
Origin: French, after Bikini.
- bi·kiˈnied adjective