A woman wearing a bikini.
- An example of a bikini is a triangle top swimsuit with a very small bottom.
- An example of a bikini is a small Speedo swimsuit for a man.
- a very brief two-piece swimsuit for women
- very brief, legless swimming trunks
- very brief, legless underpantsin full bikini briefs (or brief)
Origin of bikiniFr, after Bikini, Marshall Islands atomic bomb testing site (1946); to suggest the explosive effect on the viewer
- a. A very brief, close-fitting two-piece bathing suit worn by women.b. A very brief, close-fitting bathing suit worn by men.
- often bikinis Brief underpants that reach to the hips rather than to the waist.
Origin of bikiniFrenchafter Bikini
From French bikini, named after the place name Bikini, from English Bikini, the name of the atoll where the United States tested nuclear weapons in July 1946; it was reckoned that the bathing suit would cause as much excitement as a nuclear bomb. This name was originally from German Bikini, the colonial name of the atoll as part of German New Guinea, and this was derived from Marshallese Pikinni.