- A person from Benin or of Beninese descent.
(comparative more Beninese, superlative most Beninese)
- Of, from, or pertaining to Benin, the Beninese people.
From Benin + -ese
Variant of Benin
- former native kingdom (fl. 14th-17th cent.) in W Africa, including what came to be known as the Slave Coast
- country in WC Africa, on the Bight of Benin: formerly a French territory, it became independent in 1960: 43,484 sq mi (112,622 sq km); pop. 4,855,000; cap. Porto Novo
- N part of the Gulf of Guinea, just west of the Niger delta