- the science dealing with the motion and impact of projectiles, such as bullets, rockets, bombs, etc.
- the study of the effects of firing on a firearm or bullet, cartridge, etc.
Origin of ballisticsformed from ballistic, as in names of other sciences and areas of study: see -ics
nounused with a sing. verb
- a. The study of the dynamics of projectiles.b. The study of the flight characteristics of projectiles.
- a. The study of the functioning of firearms.b. The study of the firing, flight, and effects of ammunition.
Of, relating to, or engaging in the study of ballistics: a ballistics lab; ballistics experts.
- (physics) The science of objects that predominately fly under the effects of gravity, momentum and atmospheric drag, and dealing with details of their behaviour at the origin and destination of their flight, as of bullets or missiles or rockets.