- a verse form that has three stanzas of eight or ten lines each and an envoy of four or five lines: the last line of each stanza and of the envoy is the same
- a musical composition of a romantic or narrative nature, esp. for piano
Origin of balladeFr: see ballad
- A verse form usually consisting of three stanzas of eight or ten lines each along with a brief envoy, with all three stanzas and the envoy ending in the same one-line refrain.
- Music A composition, usually for the piano, having the romantic or dramatic quality of a narrative poem.
Origin of balladeMiddle English balade ; see ballad .
- (music) Any of various genres of single-movement musical pieces having lyrical and narrative elements.
From French ballade