(comparative more ascendable, superlative most ascendable)
- Capable of being ascended.
ascend + -able
Variant of ascend
- to go up; move upward; rise
- to proceed from a lower to a higher level or degree, as in rank, pitch, etc.
- to slope or lead upward
- to go back in time or line of ancestry
Origin of ascendMiddle English ascenden ; from Old French ascendre ; from Classical Latin ascendere ; from ad-, to + scandere, to climb
- to move upward along; mount; climb: to ascend stairs
- to move toward the source of: to ascend a river
- to succeed to (a throne)