The definition of angina, short for "angina pectoris" which is the Latin term for squeezing of the chest, is a discomfort in the chest that takes place when a decrease in blood oxygen supply occurs in the heart muscle.
Facts About Angina
- The shortage in blood oxygen supply is often a result of the narrowing of coronary arteries caused by arteriosclerosis.
- Exertion is a usual trigger for angina as is any emotional stress, eating a heavy meal or being exposed to extreme temperatures may cause angina attacks.
- Angina attacks can last between one and 15 minutes.
- Symptoms - Feeling of heaviness, tightening, squeezing, intense pressure, and aching pain across the chest or behind the breastbone. The pain will often radiate to the jaw neck, back, arms, and teeth.
- Types - Stable (caused by exertion), unstable (caused by little or no exertion) and variant (caused by a spasm of a coronary artery - rare and occurs without any symptoms).
- Causes - Coronary heart disease, hypertension, stress, diabetes, high blood cholesterol levels, smoking, sedentary lifestyle and heredity.
- Treatments - Nitrates, quitting smoking, managing weight, stress management, resting, checking cholesterol levels, eating a diet rich in whole grains, fruits, and vegetables.
An example of angina is chest pain that lasts for just a few minutes and is relieved when you rest.
angina definition by Webster's New World
- any inflammatory disease of the throat or mouth, esp. one characterized by spasmodic suffocation
- a localized spasm of pain or any condition marked by such spasms; specif., angina pectoris
Origin: Classical Latin quinsy ; from Classical Greek anchonē: see anger
- anginal adjective
angina definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Angina pectoris.
- A condition, such as severe sore throat, in which spasmodic attacks of suffocating pain occur.
Origin: Latin, quinsy, from Greek ankhonē, a strangling; see angh- in Indo-European roots.
- an·giˈnal adjective
- anˈgi·noseˌ adjective
angina - Medical Definition
- A severe constricting pain, especially angina pectoris.
- A sore throat.
- anginal adjective
- anginose adjective