- history from the earliest recorded events to the end of the Western Roman Empire in 476
- Informal something of the recent past that is well known or no longer important
ancient historyancient history
- The history of times long past.
- Informal Common knowledge, especially of a recent event that has lost its original impact or importance.
- (idiomatic) That which happened a long time ago and not worth discussing any more.
- Who cares if he said those things at the beginning of the year? That's ancient history now.
- A period of history generally seen as occurring before the Middle Ages, that is, before the fall of the Roman Empire. Includes Ancient Egypt, Ancient Greece and Ancient Rome.