of Alsace or its people, language, or culture
Origin of Alsatianafter Alsatia, older name for Alsace ; from Medieval Latin Alisatia
- a person born or living in Alsace
- the variety of German spoken in Alsace, France
- Brit. German shepherd
Of or relating to Alsace or to its inhabitants or culture.
- a. A native or inhabitant of Alsace.b. A person of Alsatian ancestry.
- Chiefly British A German shepherd.
- (dated) English name for a breed of dog called German shepherd until the first World War, changed at that time due to anti-German sentiment. Still commonly used in Britain.
This word can be used with an uppercase or lowercase first letter.
- Of or relating to Alsace
- A person from Alsace
- (Australia, New Zealand, UK, dated US) English name for a breed of dog called German shepherd until the first World War, changed at that time due to anti-German sentiment.
- The language or dialect of Alsace