- space for maneuvering an aircraft flying in formation
- the space extending upward above an area of the earth's surface; specif., the space above a nation over which it can claim jurisdiction
- the space above private land needed for its quiet enjoyment
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
or air spacenoun
- The portion of the atmosphere above a particular land area, especially that of a political subdivision such as a nation.
- a. The space occupied by an aircraft.b. A designated sector of space, such as that in the vicinity of an airport.
- a. Chiefly British Space available for broadcasting within a particular frequency: “Mobile radio has to compete for air space with other services such as broadcast radio, television, and even military services” (Financial Times).b. See airtime.