- a member of an indigenous ethnic group of Africa, esp. sub-Saharan Africa
- a person born or living in Africa
- A native or inhabitant of Africa.
- A person of African ancestry.
- Of or pertaining to Africa.
As a noun in Old English as Africanas "Africans" (only plural). From Latin Africānae. In Middle English as Aufrican . Early Modern English Aphricane, Africans. The adjective appears in the 16th century, as Affricane, Africane, African.
Latin Africus is from Afri (singular Afer), the name of an ancient people of North Africa (near Carthage, in modern Tunisia), with the suffix -icus. Africānus is formed by addition of the -ānus suffix.