- The definition of aerobic is needing oxygen for life or activity.
Humans, dogs and elephants are each an example of an aerobic organism.
- able to live, grow, or take place only where free oxygen is present
- of or produced by aerobes
- designating or involving exercise, such as running or swimming, that conditions the heart and lungs by increasing the efficiency of oxygen intake by the body
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Biology a. Living or occurring only in the presence of oxygen: aerobic bacteria.b. Of or relating to aerobes.
- Involving or improving oxygen consumption by the body: aerobic exercise.
- Relating to or used in aerobics: aerobic shoes.
- aer·oˈbi·cal·ly adverb
aerobic - Cultural Definition
aerobic - Medical Definition
- Living or occurring only in the presence of oxygen, as certain microorganisms.
- Of or relating to aerobes.
- Relating to or used in aerobics.
aerobic - Science Definition
Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.