- having to do with adoption
- having become so by the act of adoption: adoptive parents
Origin of adoptiveClassical Latin adoptivus
- a. Characteristic of or having to do with adoption.b. Related by adoption: “increased honesty and sharing between birth families, adoptive families and adoptees” (Robyn S. Quinter).
- Being a place that one has moved to or resettled in: our adoptive city. See Usage Note at adopt.
- Related through adoption; more generally, relating to adoption.
- My adoptive parents recently got to know my biological parents.
adoptive - Legal Definition
- Related by virtue of an adoption. For example, an adult who adopts a child is that child’s adoptive parent. (Although the adult is referred to as the adoptive parent, the minor is known as the adopted child.)
- Pertaining to an adoption of any kind. For example, by adoptive works or conduct, one may accept legal responsibility for the act of another.