- the rank, position, or authority of an admiral
- the governmental department or officials in charge of naval affairs, as in England
- maritime law or court
Origin of admiraltyMiddle English admiralte ; from Old French admiralté
- a. A court exercising jurisdiction over all maritime cases.b. Maritime law.
- Admiralty The department of the British government that once had control over all naval affairs.
(countable and uncountable, plural admiralties)
- (military) The office or jurisdiction of an admiral.
- (military) The department or officers having authority over naval affairs generally.
- (law) The court which has jurisdiction of maritime questions and offenses.
- (law) The system of jurisprudence of admiralty courts.
- (military) The building in which the lords of the admiralty, in England, transact business.