It is the largest town on the east side of the Nile in Upper Egypt, having a population in 1907 of 23,795, of whom about a third were Copts.
Pop. (1907) 19,893, of whom about one-third are Copts.
Pop. (1897) 16,00o, mostly Copts.
The Maronites, and the uniate Jacobites, Chaldaeans and Copts have adopted the Roman mitre.
A veil is attached to the staff among the Greeks, Armenians and Copts.