Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio.
- any of the nymphs who live in the woods; dryad
- any of certain South American hummingbirds
- any of several small U.S. noctuid moths (genus Euthisanotia) with white-and-brown forewings and yellow hind wings
- satyr (sense )
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
nounThe American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- A nymph of the forest; a dryad.
- Any of several tropical hummingbirds of the genera Thalurania and Cyanophaia.
- Any of various butterflies of the family Satyridae, especially Cercyonis pegala, having brownish wings with dark eyespots.