- a person, animal, or thing that whistles
- any of various birds having a whistling call or making a whistling sound in flight, as the goldeneye
- ☆ hoary marmot
- a horse affected with whistling (sense )
- a radio wave, generated by lightning, high-energy electrons, etc. that travels along the earth's magnetic field lines and is heard as a whistling sound on radio receivers
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- One that whistles: a whistler of popular tunes.
- a. A marmot (Marmota caligata) of the mountains of northwest North America, having a grayish coat and a shrill, whistling cry.b. Any of various birds that produce a whistling sound.c. A horse having a respiratory disease characterized by wheezing.
- Physics An electromagnetic wave of audio frequency produced by atmospheric disturbances such as lightning, having a characteristically decreasing frequency responsible for a whistling sound of descending pitch in detection equipment.
, James Abbott McNeill 1834-1903.
whistler - Computer Definition
Computer Desktop Encyclopedia
THIS DEFINITION IS FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY
All other reproduction is strictly prohibited without permission from the publisher.
© 1981-2014 The Computer Language Company Inc. All rights reserved.