- any of various dogs characteristically fond of the water; esp., a hunting dog, as the American water spaniel, trained to retrieve waterfowl
- any of several hunting dogs trained to retrieve waterfowl
- ☆ mud puppy
- Informal a person who is at home in or on the water; esp., an old, experienced sailor
See water dog in American Heritage Dictionary 4
- A dog that takes easily to the water, especially one trained for hunting waterfowl.
- Informal A person who feels at home in or on the water.
- often wa·ter·dog (wôˈtər-dôgˌ, -dŏgˌ, wŏtˈər-) See mudpuppy.
- Western U.S. Any of several large salamanders.