- voluntary or willing participation in a course of action
- a doctrine or system based on such participation
- Philos. any theory holding that will, rather than reason or intelligence, is the basic factor in human behavior or that some force analogous to will is the dominant constituent of reality
- The use of or reliance on voluntary action to maintain an institution, carry out a policy, or achieve an end.
- A theory or doctrine that regards the will as the fundamental principle of the individual or of the universe.
- (US) A reliance on volunteers to support an institution or achieve an end; volunteerism.
- (philosophy) A doctrine that assigns the most dominant position to the will rather than the intellect.
- (politics) The political theory that a community is best organized by the voluntary cooperation of individuals, rather than by a government, which is regarded as being coercive by nature.
voluntary +"Ž -ism