- An example of a viand is an order of pie.
- An example of a viand is the chef's specialty.
Viand is defined as a piece of food, or a tasty dish.
- an article of food
- food of various kinds; esp., choice dishes
Origin of viandMiddle English vyaunde ; from Old French viande ; from Vulgar Latin an unverified form vivanda, for Classical Latin vivenda, neuter plural gerund, gerundive of vivere, to live: see bio-
- a. An item of food.b. A very choice or delicious dish.
- viands Provisions; victuals.
Origin of viandMiddle English viaunde, from Old French viande, from Vulgar Latin *v&imacron;vanda, alteration of Latin v&imacron;venda, neuter pl. gerundive of v&imacron;vere, to live; see gwei- in Indo-European roots.