- An example of a viand is an order of pie.
- An example of a viand is the chef's specialty.
Viand is defined as a piece of food, or a tasty dish.
- an article of food
- [pl.] food of various kinds; esp., choice dishes
Origin of viandMiddle English vyaunde from Old French viande from Vulgar Latin an unverified form vivanda, for Classical Latin vivenda, neuter plural gerund, gerundive of vivere, to live: see bio-
- a. An item of food.b. A very choice or delicious dish.
- viands Provisions; victuals.
Origin of viandMiddle English viaunde from Old French viande from Vulgar Latin vīvanda alteration of Latin vīvenda neuter pl. gerundive of vīvere to live ; see gwei- in Indo-European roots.