to compose verses
Origin of versifyMiddle English versifien ; from Middle French versifier ; from Classical Latin versificare ; from versus: see verse and amp; -fy
- to tell about, treat of, or describe in verse
- to put into verse form
verbver·si·fied, ver·si·fy·ing, ver·si·fies
- To change from prose into metrical form.
- To treat or tell in verse: versify stories from the Bible.
To write verses.
Origin of versifyMiddle English versifien, from Old French versifier, from Latin versificare : versus, verse; see verse1 + -ficare, -fy.
(third-person singular simple present versifies, present participle versifying, simple past and past participle versified)
- (intransitive) to make or compose verses
- (intransitive) to tell in verse; deal with in verse form
- (intransitive) to turn (prose) into poetry; rewrite in verse form