intransitive verb-·fied·, -·fy·ing
Origin of versifyMiddle English versifien from Middle French versifier from Classical Latin versificare from versus: see verse and -fy
- to tell about, treat of, or describe in verse
- to put into verse form
verbver·si·fied, ver·si·fy·ing, ver·si·fies
- To change from prose into metrical form.
- To treat or tell in verse: versify stories from the Bible.
Origin of versifyMiddle English versifien from Old French versifier from Latin versificāre versus verse ; see verse 1. -ficāre -fy
(third-person singular simple present versifies, present participle versifying, simple past and past participle versified)
- (intransitive) to make or compose verses
- (intransitive) to tell in verse; deal with in verse form
- (intransitive) to turn (prose) into poetry; rewrite in verse form