- a wall or earthwork formerly used for military defense
- the art or process of building such a defense
Origin of vallationLate Latin vallatio ; from Classical Latin vallatus, past participle of vallare, to protect with a rampart ; from vallum, rampart, wall
- An earthwork wall used for military defense; a rampart.
- The process of planning or erecting earth fortifications.
Origin of vallationLate Latin vallati&omacron;, vallati&omacron;n-, from Latin vallatus, past participle of vallare, to surround with a rampart, from vallum, rampart, from vallus, stake.
- A rampart or entrenchment.
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster's Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.