- a wall or earthwork formerly used for military defense
- the art or process of building such a defense
Origin of vallationLate Latin vallatio from Classical Latin vallatus, past participle of vallare, to protect with a rampart from vallum, rampart, wall
- An earthwork wall used for military defense; a rampart.
- The process of planning or erecting earth fortifications.
Origin of vallationLate Latin vallātiō vallātiōn- from Latin vallātus past participle of vallāre to surround with a rampart from vallum rampart from vallus stake
- A rampart or entrenchment.
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster's Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.