- Untenable is defined as something that cannot be maintained or defended.
If you have a weak argument that falls apart as soon as anyone expresses any skepticism, this is an example of when you have anuntenable argument.
- that cannot be held, defended, or maintained
- incapable of being tenanted or occupied
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Being such that defense or maintenance is impossible: an untenable position.
- Being such that occupation or habitation is impossible: untenable quarters.
- un·tenˌa·bilˈi·ty, un·tenˈa·ble·ness noun
- un·tenˈa·bly adverb