(comparative more turfy, superlative most turfy)
- Of, pertaining to, or constructed of turf.
turf + -y
Variant of turf
nounpl. turfs or Archaicturves
- a surface layer of earth containing grass plants with their matted roots; sod; sward
- Chiefly Brit. a piece of this layer
- peat, or a piece of it for use as fuel
- a track for horse racing; also, the sport of horse racing: usually with the
- ☆ Slang
- a neighborhood area regarded by a street gang as its own territory to be defended against other gangs
- one's own territory or domain
Origin of turfMiddle English ; from Old English akin to Old Norse torf ; from Indo-European an unverified form dorbhos, sod, tuft of grass ; from base an unverified form derbh-, to twist together
to cover with turf
Brit., Informal to throw out; remove, discard, dismiss, etc.