thermonuclear[t̸hʉr′mō no̵̅o̅′klē ər, -nyo̵̅o̅′-]
- designating or of a reaction in which isotopes of a light element, esp. hydrogen, fuse at temperatures of millions of degrees into heavier nuclei
- designating, of, or employing the heat energy released in nuclear fusion: thermonuclear reactor
Origin: thermo- + nuclear
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Of, relating to, or derived from the fusion of atomic nuclei at high temperatures: thermonuclear reactions.
- Of, relating to, or characterized by the use of atomic weapons based on fusion, especially as distinguished from those based on fission: thermonuclear war.
thermonuclear - Cultural Definition
thermonuclear - Science Definition
- Relating to the fusion of atomic nuclei at high temperatures or to the energy produced in this way.
- Relating to weapons based on nuclear fusion, especially as distinguished from those based on nuclear fission.
Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.